Citizens Engine Company No. 1, was located at 6054 Amboy Rd at Pleasant Plains / Prince’s Bay (near Maguire Ave). The House performed double duty, providing for a community library in the rear of the building; the Bookmobile would regularly replenish the selections.
Citizens was a volunteer fire company formed by the employees of S.S. White Dental Works in Prince’s Bay (see inset) located 6 blocks away — the factory used its whistle as the Fire Alarm. It was disbanded in 1937, with FDNY providing the Duty from that point on.